BE AN ORGAN/TISSUE DONOR AND HELP SAVE LIVES!
- In Wyoming and Colorado, more than 2,600 people are currently waiting for a lifesaving organ transplant. Nationally, more than 119,000 people are waiting.
- Volunteers should not rule themselves out as potential organ and tissue donors. They should designate their decision regardless of age or medical concerns.
- Organs that can be donated are heart, liver, lungs, kidneys, pancreas and small intestine.
- Tissues that can be donated include bone, tendons, corneas, veins, valves, and skin.
- One donor can save up to 8 lives through organ donation and save and heal more than 75 lives through tissue donation.
- Almost 1,900 people in Wyoming and Colorado are waiting for a kidney and over 600 are waiting for a liver.
- In Wyoming and Colorado, 45% of those waiting for a transplant are between 50 and 64 years old.
- All major religions support organ, eye and tissue donation as an unselfish act of charity.
- To learn more about organ and tissue donation visit www.donatelifeamerica.org.
- You can register to be an organ and tissue donor by doing one of the following:
- Sign-up online through Donate Life Wyoming at donatelifewyoming.org or call (888) 256-4386.
- Say "yes" when obtaining or renewing your driver's license at the Department of Transportation.
- Stop by the organ/tissue donation table at the Day of Giving event in May, talk to the trained volunteer manning the table, and fill out the necessary paperwork.